Saturday, June 29, 2013

Week Three

More observations I made or forgot to mention before:
  1. Koreans watch a lot of baseball and soccer, much more than any other sports. The baseball teams are the names of car companies such as KIA and Samsung
  2. Koreans don't really use house keys because everything is electronic. They have these mini cards they touch to the apartment doors and then the door opens. Then they have pin numbers in front of their apartment doors. 
  3. All the Korean light switches I have seen are the ones you push to the left or to the right instead of the ones you switch up and down.
I don't know if it's a Korean culture thing or an Asian culture thing, but I was so surprised by how hospitable people were (and still are) when I arrived in Korea. They always make sure you are fed and that is, fed very well. The first two weeks I was in Korea, I ate so much! Eating rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner made me realize that I really don't eat rice for breakfast. I usually ate a croissant, cereal, fruits, or something light for breakfast. This visit to Korea made me realize how Korean I am, but at the same time, it made me realize how American I am. Welcomed warmly by others, it made me think about what I do back at home. Do I joyfully welcome people when they visit? Do I introduce myself and say hi? Or do I just pass them by at church, hoping someone else will acknowledge them? I think being hospitable is a good thing to learn from the Korean culture.

At first I didn't think much of this, but the more I thought about it, I am thankful God answered my prayer! On Wednesday, Sam, Sarah, and I went to Lotte World from Yejee's house. I carried a lot of things with me to Yejee's house - clothes, camera, etc. Since we were going to Lotte World, I didn't want to carry many things with me. So I left a lot of things at Yejee's house, including my house keys to my aunt & uncle's apartment. That day we went to Lotte world and then Luke's dad took us to a Korean museum. Afterward I went to my uncle's house from my mom's side to eat dinner. On my way home from my uncle's house, I realized that I left my keys at Yejee's house. However I trusted that God would make a way for me to enter the apartment. As I stood outside the apartment trying to call my aunt on a dying phone, hoping that someone could come open the door, I heard her say "Ha-eun! What are you doing here." She just came home from church and so I didn't have to wait at all to go home! Praise God. He's always looking out for me. (:

My dad's side of the family. Don't his brothers look like my dad?

1 comment:

  1. Seriously God is doing miracles all day for us! Sometimes we just don't notice it. And these pics are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete

:)