Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Uganda: Week Three

This was written by Anna last night and I thought I would share it!
--
Times goes by a bit more slowly in Uganda. Maybe it’s the fact that people move slowly to here. Or that there’s not much to do at the hospital, except to log people in at the receptionist desk. But these days, Grace and I are mostly preoccupied with cooking for ourselves, cleaning up our place, and giving violin lessons to the kids. In a sense, I’m grateful for the quiet pace of life. It gives me much more time to be able to read my bible and pray more, and I’ve felt closer in my relationship with God ever since coming to Uganda. I know for sure that in the United States, I would just be feeling anxious and stressed, too caught up in trying to live life without turning to the source of life Himself.
I am also grateful that I can really spend time with the people here in Uganda. Just a few days ago, a volunteer from South Korea arrived to help out at the hospital eye clinic. Her name is Seul Ki and she will be staying here in Uganda for a year, living in a small single bedroom right next to ours. To help her adjust and welcome her as our neighbor, we’ve spent a lot of time with her, just talking or sharing dinner. It’s a bit difficult because she mostly speaks Korean, but we somehow manage with our back and forth exchange of broken English-Korean. We’ve also been having lots of interesting conversations with our fellowship sister Gloria, who is starting to feel more and more like an actual sister to us.
Last Sunday, Dr. Livingstone Kang and Msn. David took Grace and me to the construction site where a new medical center is meant to be built. As the ambulance climbed up the unpaved country road, the beaten down road signs and urban shacks gave way to green stretches of African trees twisting out of the red hills. It was beautiful up in the mountains, with a hint of rain. Unfortunately construction has been stalled for a while because of land disputes with a neighbor. However, up at the top of the red hill, where we could see the gray roofs dotting the land below, Grace commented that it felt as though we were the Israelite spies, scouting out the Canaanite land. We prayed for the construction of the medical center together, and prayed that God would complete the project and so bring many people to Him.
Everything else is fairly peaceful. I was able to go into lab this week and learn a few new medical procedures, and Grace and I have also been trying to attend early Morning Prayer meetings. Please pray for us to continue to wake up early.
Thanks for everything, and will update you soon,
Anna and Grace

These photos below are of the construction site.
"Proposed Bethesda Mission Hospital"
The beautiful view.
flowers on the side of the road
Our mode of transportation - an ambulance.

2 comments:

:)