Sunday, September 20, 2015

Valuing God's Voice

The youth group has been studying the "Tuned In Series" by Pastor Stephen Chandler. On Saturday, we watched the sermon "Please Repeat That" and I thought there were valuable lessons from it. If you have some time, I would recommend listening to it!

Here are some of the notes:

Value His voice.
"People want to hear the specific word of God without taking the time to listen for the general words of God. There are about 4 or 5 times throughout your year when you say, 'I really need to know what God's will is for this decision right here.' But there's about 361 other days where hearing God's voice is not a big deal to you because you don't have a big decision to make."

"What you value, you will allot time for. If you don't allot time for it, you don't really value it."

Four ways to value God:
  1. Set an appointment. God shows up in a prepared environment. God shows up when we prepare an atmosphere. 
  2. Be still and worship. You cannot experience God unless you are still. The battle is won when you stand still and worship God. It's in worship when God speaks to you.
  3. Pray and read.
  4. Listen and write. Listen to what God is saying to you and write what God is speaking to you."
The message was really encouraging to listen to. I believe that the four ways to value God that Pastor Stephen shared is really important, but it is really a daily struggle to do these things. What stuck out to me the most is that "God shows up in a prepared environment." How would church on Sunday be if no one prepared? What if the chairs weren't set up? What if the praise team didn't practice? What if the messenger didn't prepare and pray throughout the week? It would be a mess. It's difficult preparing for Sunday Worship Service, conferences, Harvest Festival, etc. but I believe how we prepare is a reflection of our attitude and view towards God. Do we really believe that God is good? That God is great? Do we love Him? For example, if an important guest came over to your house, you would make sure your house was really clean and make a really nice meal. In the same way, we need to prepare for God to show up. While it is important to prepare the physical atmosphere for Holy Spirit to come, we must not forget to prepare our hearts to hear God's voice!

As a youth group teacher, I find it sometimes difficult and challenging prepare for classes Saturdays and Sundays. But I a reminded that it is when we prepare for the presence of God, He comes. I am also reminded of Romans 12:8 "...if it is to lead, do it diligently." In the context of the passage, Paul is talking about spiritual gifts that God has given each person. As a leader, it is important to lead diligently. Sometimes I don't know how I got to where I am, but I believe that this is where God wants me to be right now. I have a lot of weaknesses (to which my sister can testify, haha), but I hope to do my best to love, teach, and lead my class this year.

Also I've been meaning to post more regularly this semester - maybe once a week or once every two weeks, but it's been hard...

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I think we forget to prepare to meet God and just expect Him to show up. Good post

    ReplyDelete

:)