Monday, April 18, 2016

Community Series Part 1


God has placed on my heart to write about the topic of community for a while so this will be the beginning of the series titled "Community." For now, I am not completely sure which direction these following blog posts will go, but I hope to focus on different aspects of community, what it means to live in a community, and how God created us to be part of a community (in no particular order). I hope to pull information together from scripture, my experiences, and biology & psychology (but mainly scripture).

Looking back in my life, I am so thankful to have grown up in a loving community of believers - with a group of diverse group of people with many differences, but with one thing in common - Jesus. Growing up, I always assumed that all church communities were like a family as our church is, but I realize now although we may be small in numbers, there's something special about here. Though we are imperfect people, we serve a perfect God who lavishly and unconditionally loves each person. It doesn't matter whether you are young or old - you belong. I love the African proverb - "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." because it portrays what community looks like, and what our community looks like. We rejoice together. We suffer together. We mourn together. We pray together. We do life together. We go together.

On a side note the youth missions team began a Bible reading plan last week (If you would like to join us, you can find it here! Also you can follow our team here!). As I read through Ephesians last week, so many verses stirred my heart. Throughout Ephesians and Philippians, Paul strongly advocates for the unity of the body of Christ. Jesus came and broke down the barrier between Gentiles and the Jews, which nowadays means he broke down the barrier between all people. Throughout history, the Jewish people have been God's chosen people. However, God revealed to Paul that salvation was for the Jews as well as the Gentiles. Now "through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit." (Ephesians 2:18). 

We live for something greater than ourselves because God's calling in our lives are bigger than ourselves. I really liked the point Andrew made in an early morning prayer meeting message about how we live to glorify God. 

Here is a modified excerpt:
"How many of you either go to school or go to work? What is the point of going to school or work? Is it to get an education? Is it to make money? It is because that’s what you’re supposed to do or else you’re a lazy bum? Yes all these things are true, but ultimately we go to school or work for the sake of the school or employer. When we go to school, we are giving the school a ton of money, and when we do well in school, we make the school look better. When we go to work, we are making money for the employer. Think about it. They wouldn’t pay you if they weren’t making money off of you.
     When Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, it wasn’t only for Lazarus’ sake, or only for the people who were watching’s sake. It was also to give glory to God. Let’s read verse 4 together. “When he heard this, Jesus said, ‘This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.’" “Then Jesus said, ‘Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?’” (verse 40) Jesus was there to give life to Lazarus, faith to those watching, and glory to God."

In John 13:34 Jesus said - "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." I believe that as a church community, we mold each other to become the person who God created each person to be. We have so many different types of personalities and preferences in how we do things, but we are called to love one another. By loving each other, we glorify God and others will know that we are his disciples. We are called to hope for one another and to launch one another into the destinies and futures God has in store.


In February we had the youth winter retreat at Bethany Prayer House with the theme "Mission." I know this was a couple of months ago, but I want to share the words Pastor Kyu spoke over our church. He first spoke over Psalm 16. 

Psalm 16

Keep me safe, my God,
    for in you I take refuge.
I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
    apart from you I have no good thing.”
I say of the holy people who are in the land,
    “They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.”
Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more.
    I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods
    or take up their names on my lips.
Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup;
    you make my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    surely I have a delightful inheritance.
I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
    With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
    my body also will rest secure,
10 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
    nor will you let your faithful one see decay.
11 You make known to me the path of life;
    you will fill me with joy in your presence,
    with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
There is an inheritance in our church and there are inheritances that were sown years ago for many many years that will come forth. "I believe God is releasing inheritance to your church." As I heard these words, I got so excited! As we have been studying the book of Joshua, I've seen how it parallels so much to our church. The Israelites have been wandering for 40 years. Our church had its 40th anniversary this past year. In Joshua, the Israelites are stepping into the promised land and as we expand our church, I believe we are also stepping into the promised land. However Pastor Kyu said that as a church, we need to begin to see the DNA of our church. As a church we need to know the DNA - the makeup of our church. And we must consecrate ourselves as the Israelites did because God is about to do amazing things! Also years ago, Pastor Bob Hartley spoke over our church that we are called to be treasure bringers. This was during the time when most of my peers had no idea what they were going to do in the future, but I believe this is now coming to pass! It's so exciting! I remember Hannah and I used to wonder what this meant because we could not see anything in front of us. However now many are starting professional schools and beginning careers in this season in life. I believe that it's critical that before we are launched into these things, we must position ourselves now so that God can use us in great ways in the years to come because giving is not determined by circumstances or what we have. Rather, it is determined by the condition of our hearts. Yes, we are called to be treasure bringers (both financially + spiritually). I hope you find this post to be encouraging!

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I am still confused as to what Bob Hartley meant haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. So encouraging!!! :) These days I feel SO blessed to be immersed in community - esp. during times of celebration (the engagement ceremony last week) and coming together for a cause (church clean up this past weekend). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord! I think it will take my whole lifetime to learn community and unification.

    ReplyDelete

:)