Sunday, May 1, 2016

Community Series Part 2

Community Series Part 2: We Need Each Other


I saw several people share this (the photo above) on my facebook the other day. At first glance, I thought it was cute and then dismissed it. But the longer I stared at the photo, I began to understand the true meaning. Above, you will see three people walking through life (literally walking, haha). As each person walks, there's a chasm he or she must get through. Someone walking alone will have a difficult time getting over the chasm. A person walking alone could try to leap across, invent a gadget, etc. to get to the other side. However, because they are holding each other up, each person is able to get through life. There's a t-shirt that has a stick figure kneeling in prayer that says - "someone's praying me through." When I first saw this t-shirt, I remember thinking it was kind of weird because I didn't understand the meaning. But I realized that everyone has highs in life as well as lows. There will be times when I may fall or go through a difficult season. This is when I need people to pray for me. But when I am doing well, I need to spend time to pray for my friends and those around me. As much as we would all like to always be strong, we will all eventually face a day when our strength fails us. Let's be a community that supports each other through the good times and bad. 

Center Dedication Ceremony
Center Dedication Ceremony
Center Dedication Ceremony // Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
Center Dedication Ceremony // group photo
Ecclesiastics 4:9-12 says,
"Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their labor:
If either of them falls down,
one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up.
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
--
During the mission meeting yesterday, I shared what it means to be a godly friend and I wanted to share the short list that I came up with. If you would like me to elaborate on any of them, just post in the comments! :)
  1. Find your worth and identity in God
  2. Age doesn’t matter.
  3. Point each other to God – that you may help each other become more like Jesus.
  4. Forgive.
  5. Pray for each other. Fight for each other in prayer.
  6. Speak kind words. Encourage.
  7. Live with eternity in perspective (think about this – you’ll be friends for eternity!).
--
I've been sick the past couple of days and I believe it's God telling me that I need to rest. But a part of me is like - I just have so many things I need to (group presentation Wednesday, wiki page, finals to study for). And then I'm like oh no, I need to study for the MCAT. I haven't even started studying for it and so on. But I was encouraged and reminded this weekend that it is not by my own strength that I am here. God has been so faithful to me in the past and I know he will continue to be faithful. I believe that God will carry me through seventeen more days (only SEVENTEEN more days)!! Please pray for the next few weeks (not just for me, but all those who are taking finals) and please continue to pray for the missions team!

And here's some typography things I've made recently :)

"Where there is a will there is a way." // I just listened to a podcast by freakonomics on what makes great people great. Really good podcast btw. If you want to become better at something, why not? First you have to believe that you can and do all that you can to get better. Practice. Practice. Practice. Challenge yourself. And practice practice practice. It reminded me of when I used to take violin lessons. My teacher used to make me play the same measure over and over again until it was perfect (intonation, bowing technique, rhythm). Although it's tough to identify what you're not good at and work on it, it's important to improve what you're not good at if you want to get better. Sometimes we like to only do things we're already good at, but it's important to challenge yourself. I've been challenging myself to keep creating typography work by making this instagram. 😊 So today, how will you challenge yourself? Share by commenting 👇 I would love to hear! . . . . . . #typography #lettering #brushlettering #simplicity #wherethereisawill #gracestype #challengeyourself
A photo posted by Grace Chun (@gracestype) on



2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that encouragement is super important in Godly friendships. Something we all could work on. Btw great post, keep up the community series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post, Grace <3 I can definitely work on loving one another. Jesus wants me to exercise my heart muscle.

    ReplyDelete

:)