Sunday, October 15, 2017

Prayer Circle

Over the summer, I read this devotional titled Draw the Circle: The 40 Day Prayer Challenge by Mark Batterson (the pastor of the National Community Church in Washington DC) with a few friends. The book, full of testimonies after testimonies of answered prayers, has encouraged me to keep praying and to pray even more specific prayers.

The book is full of testimonies after testimonies of answered prayers - amazing ways God has answered people's prayers. As I neared the end of the 40 day challenge, I was reminded of the Tuesday prayer meetings I attended with friends from youth group throughout middle and high school.

"Hey, are you going to prayer meeting?"

This was a weekly question we asked each other. "Are you going to be at prayer meeting?" And it was how we kept each other accountable. I don't think we understood the value of prayer in those times. I know I surely didn't. Some days, it felt like a sacrifice to attend prayer meeting when I felt like my time would be better spent studying instead of praying. But I remember I would leave each time - refreshed and encouraged, and with no regrets. It was time I treasured. To spend time in the presence of God and at the same time - with my friends. And though we could not see it at the time, I believe God was working in our midst. I didn't really understand. We would pray for our schools week after week - for God to come, reach people. But week after week, I could not see God moving. And finally, years later down the line, I believe that I am witnessing the answers to all the prayers we had sown even up to eight years ago. It has been awesome seeing friends and people I used to know in high school turn to God in prayer and in search to know Him. And as we continue into the future, I am excited for God to reveal the fullness of his glory.

This is a super short post, but I just wanted to share this to encourage you to keep praying! I know I often wonder if God actually hears my prayers or if it's actually doing anything, but God is listening! And God is moving and doing far greater things than we can imagine or comprehend. James 5:16b says "The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." What and who are you going to pray for today?

1 comment:

:)