Monday, July 30, 2012

Facedown

*I apologize in advance - for I am about to go on a blogging spree. You are in no way obligated to read anything or everything I write. It's just going to be everything that's been on my mind for the past month or so. (: *

Facedown - by Matt Redman:


I recently read a book titled "Facedown" by Matt Redman. It's a short book, but I wouldn't exactly say a quick read because of the density of the content. Because it's a short book, Matt Redman gets straight to the point. Thus, you need time to think about what you just read before you jump into the next chapter (though I didn't exactly do that).

However what I read kept coming back to me. This book really opened my eyes to other elements of worship - mystery, holiness, and awe. 


"Facedown worship always begins as a posture of the heart. It's people so desperate for the increase of Christ that they find themselves decreasing to the ground in an act of reverent submission. When a soul is so captivated by the Almighty, to bend low in true and total surrender seems the only appropriate response."

Throughout the Bible, we encounter facedown worship - Daniel, Abrahm, King David, Peter, James, and John. I never really took notice of what it really meant when I read in the Bible something like - "and he fell facedown." I would just overlook the importance of those words. However facedown worship tells so much about the person and God. Facedown worship exemplifies total surrender to God. His glory is so overwhelming that the person's reaction to his revelation is to simply fall to the ground on his face. In this sense, God is awe-some (full of awe).

"So many clues as to what our congregational gatherings should look like are found in these encounters of the heavenly throne. When it comes to worship, the throne always sets the tone. Each time we gather together, we don't just journey to a church building- we journey to the very throne of God. To lose sight of this is to lose sight of the majestic in worship." 


As worship leaders, it is important to be able to set the tone for people to worship God. It's never just about playing the right notes and singing in tune. Instead worship goes far beyond that. It goes beyond the physical realm and enters the spiritual realm where it's all about God. We worship God through the lifestyles we live; through our actions, we either glorify God or simply don't. I believe we should encourage each other to acknowledge God's holiness, awesomeness, and mysteriousness. In this way, we may, too, be able to encounter facedown worship in front of our King.

I loved the chapter "The Song of Creation."

"Creation is alive with musicality; and every sound, note and strain is a response to the divine, pointing to the author of all life- God himself."


After I read this chapter late at night, I put down the book and decided to fall asleep. As I tried to go to sleep, I listened to the bugs and creatures outside (the window was slightly open). As I listened I was so amazed at God's creation. I am so glad God did not make all animals sound the same. Imagine listening to the same note forever and ever from everything! As I fell asleep, I thanked God for the beauty in His creation. His creation truly glorifies Him.

This book "Facedown" definitely helped me understand worship more. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)