Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Stewardship

In YDJ, we have been studying different aspects on what it means to be a Christian.
Last Friday, Abe lead the meeting on the topic of stewardship, a word we don't use often.

A steward knows the master's will, who he or she is, never misses an opportunity, and is faithful.

After our group discussions, we established 4 principles of stewardship.

  1. God is the owner and he owns everything. Therefore we are stewards to what belongs to God, which includes our talents, time, and money.
  2. Responsibility to do the owner's will.
  3. Accountability. What are we doing with the time given to us? We are accountable to God.
  4. Reward. There is an eternal reward. 
As I was learning this, a great relief washed over me as I realized that I am not the owner. I don't have to worry about making things go according to my plans because God is sovereign. He's the owner. I also realized that I've been viewing school more of a burden rather than something I enjoyed. I realized that I can have two different approaches to what God has given me. I can accept them as burdens, a laundry list of things that need to get done. Or I can enjoy it. God doesn't have big plans for my life to watch me struggle on my own. He's going to be with me every single step of the way. Instead of focusing on getting every step of the way perfect, God has been teaching me to rely on him. I don't know where He's going to lead me in one year, five years, or twenty years, but I am certain He has the best plans for my life. He's full of grace and mercy. Last Thursday, so many things were going wrong one after another. I was feeling sick and couldn't think clearly, but you know, God was full of grace.

"Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."
-1 Thessalonians 4:10b-12

"The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blessed his people with peace." 
- Psalm 29:11

"Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen."
- Hebrews 13:20 

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)