Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Flowing





"A river water the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters. The name of the first is the Pishon; it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold. (The gold of that land is good; aromatic resin and onyx are also there.) The name of the second river is the Gihon; it winds through the entire land of Cush. The name of the third river is the Tigris; it runs along hte east side of Ashur. And the fourth river is the Euphrates." - Genesis 2:10-14

Last Saturday my team (the Magi) studied the first part of Genesis 2 with Pastor Jacob. In the past, I usually overlooked the part about the rivers, partly because the names were hard to pronounce. However, this time it really stuck out to me. Pastor Jacob emphasized the importance of the rivers by mentioning that great civilizations all developed next to rivers. For example, the proximity of the Nile River lead to the Egyptian civilization. And in rivers, the water continues to flow in and out. Why is the Dead Sea dead? Although water flows into the Dead Sea, the water doesn't flow out. It's stagnant. It's a dead end. I believe as Christians, our lives are supposed to flow. We have freely received God's grace, mercy, and love. Because we freely receive, we freely give.

In my biology class we recently learned about the circulatory system. The circulatory systems in different organisms fits the function of the organism. For example, trees don't move on their own. Therefore they have the flow circulatory system and they have low flow rates. However, humans have a completely divided circulatory system with really high flow rates (I thought this was really interesting).

If we are truly alive and moving as the body of Christ, we can't just continue to receive. I believe that the more I learn to give, the more I will receive.

I was also really reminded this weekend to acknowledge that God is in control of all things. Everything that I have was given to me by God. I am not the owner, but a steward of all the things God has given me. I would like to share parts of Daniel 4 with you!

"This is the interpretation, Your Majesty, and this is the decree the Most High has issued against my lord the king: You will be driven away from people and will live with the wild animals you will eat grass like the ox and be drenched with the dew of heaven. Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes. The command to leave the stump of the tree with its roots means that your kingdom will be restored to you when you acknowledge that Heaven rules. Therefore, Your Majesty, be pleased to accept my advice: Renounce your sins by doing what is right, and your wickedness by being kind to the oppressed. It may be that then your prosperity will continue." - Daniel 4:24-27

"At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever.

His dominion is an eternal dominion;
his kingdom endures from generation toe generation.
All the peoples of the earth
are regarded as nothing.
He does as he pleases
with the powers of heaven
and the peoples of the earth.
No one can hold back his hand
or say to him; "What have you done?

At the same time that my sanity was restored, my honor and splendor were returned to me for the glory of my kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored to my thorn and became even greater than before. Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble." 
- Daniel 4:34-37

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)