Monday, March 7, 2016

trust


"Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

It's a struggle. I remember many years ago, Paul (my youth group teacher) asked me how I was doing and I expressed my frustration on how hard it was to trust God - to let go and fully trust Him with my life. And I remember him kind of chuckling and replying that it doesn't get easier as you get older. Looking back, I see what he meant. Trusting God is not a one time thing. Rather, it's a conscious decision I must make every day to trust Him and submit all my ways to Him. Although I know that God is good and has the best plans for me, it's a struggle - to trust him with all my heart. There's a battle in my heart - a part of my heart seeks safety, comfort in what I know, whatever is "easier" to do. But the enemy is a liar. Although he promises safety, comfort, wealth, etc., once you obtain these things, you will be left empty, wanting more. As I surrender and submit to my God, the good good Father, I know that he will "make my paths straight." As I surrender and submit to my God, I experience the greatest joy and freedom. Although the road I am traveling on is uncertain, I trust Him. He's been so faithful to me and I know He will continue to be faithful. 

This weekend was so exciting! During youth group, we watched the movie titled Furious Love and then we went treasure hunting at Beltway Plaza. To be honest, it is usually really nerve-wracking to go up to people and ask if we can pray for them. I usually kind of check the time often and see if it's time to go back. But this Saturday it was really fun! After watching the movie, I was encouraged to go out boldly. As children of God, we also walk in the same spirit that Jesus walked with. No demon or spirit has a chance against the spirit of God. My group was Susan, Yoojin, and me. We took turns asking people if they wanted prayer and saw God move over and over again. Although we met many people, the two incidents that touched my heart was at Target (the best place to be, jk :)). As Aug asked - "where does God want us to go?" The first thought that came to my mind was "Target," but I thought it might be just because I really like Target. As soon as we walked in, we saw an older man wearing a redskins hat. One of the clues we had were "red beanie" and so, Susan stopped and tried to talk to the man. But he was holding onto another man who was holding onto another man. Then we found out that they were deaf. There were around 6-7 people and they were at Target as an outing. After we realized we didn't know how to sign, the leader pulled out his smartphone (thank God for technology!!) and we typed our conversations. We asked him if we could pray for them and he was very open. Although they couldn't hear us, we spent some time praying for each one of them and I believe they felt God's love. As I laid my hand and prayed for them, I felt God's love overflowing for them. I love how although society may say these are the least, God loves and cherishes them. The leader typed - "it was a divine encounter" and I believe it was too! We then took a picture with them and went on our way. We met a lady in an another aisle. Susan asked if she could pray for her and we found out that she was a pastor. Then she challenged us to pray for us. After Susan prayed for her, she in turn prayed for us. She prayed over Proverbs 3:5-6 us and that we would be bold as we continue with our lives - that we won't be afraid wherever we go. Whether we're at target, school, church, work, God is moving. He's pouring our His spirit upon us and as his children and disciples, we must walk with faith, truth, and confidence. 

Recently Hannah and I started a small group (mostly Hannah) with a group of college aged girls called Food for Soul in hopes that we can encourage each other to grow and walk in our faith throughout our college years. As I shared what happened at Target and shared the verse the pastor prayed over us, Hannah also shared her prayer. Earlier in the day, she prayed and asked God what verse to share with us and she believed that God told her Proverbs 3:5-6! As we discussed the verses, we discussed what it means to trust God with all our heart. I think the part that stuck out to me the most was - "lean not on your own understanding." I realized that my understanding is so limited. Although I can only see what is right in front of me, God can see way ahead. He knows my future. And it is my role to submit all my ways before Him. 
Homemade pizza! Sooo goood.
Our hope is that through our monthly meetings, we will provide an environment to openly discuss the Word of God, our struggles as college students, and eat! It stirs my heart to see God raising up young leaders. I'm so excited to see that God is raising up high school and college students after His heart. 

I love seeing people encounter the love of God. I've seen God do great things, but I believe that God is going to do even greater things in the years to come. We must ready our hearts and equip ourselves to be ready to go forth.


Also another song that's been on replay.
"You are good good ooh"

3 comments:

  1. I'm experiencing the same exact struggles of learning to trust with all my heart! Your posts are the best when taking study breaks =) Encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a blessed treasure hunting experience and I hope your monthly meeting group will grow you all to be great women of God(:

    ReplyDelete

:)