Friday, February 20, 2015

Expectations

You may have already heard about this research before, but just take five minutes to watch this youtube video to learn about the Pymalion Effect. For some reason, I can't embed it into the blog post, but if you click "this" it should take you to the video! I first heard about this study when I studied A Love Worth Giving by Max Lucado (which I recommend reading) during my senior year of high school with Sarah & Sarah. I had to watch this video for my PSYC100 class which has been really interesting so far. Interesting, but so different from my other science classes!

In the study, all the students were tested in the beginning of the year. Then the researcher randomly picked students, despite their test scores, and told the teacher that they were the ones that were going to "bloom" that year. What amazes me about this study that although the teacher wasn't consciously trying to treat the "smarter" kids better, she did. And she didn't know she did! The students she had higher expectations for ended up meeting the expectations and tested to be smarter at the end of the year. This study really amazes me because it shows that teachers' expectation for their students can shape the students' learning, goals, and eventually their future. As a youth group teacher, I want to have high expectations for them and hope in and for them. I want them to live this one life they have for God and not just for themselves. I want to see them grow and bloom. However I realized that in order to do that, I must give and teach them the tools to do so. My life should also be transparent - that they see that it's not always easy to walk the narrow path. That they will struggle and struggle, but despite their struggles God will never leave them. For me to lead, I need to dig further into God's word - and grow in my personal relationship with God. I also need to teach them to read the Bible and to depend on God. During the retreat, Pastor Jane said something that really caught my attention. She asked her youth groups kids - "why do you have to read your Bible?" and they answered "because it's the word of God" and things like that. But her answer really surprised me. She said, "You have to read your Bible because I'm going to leave." (paraphrased) But that has been on my mind. Even though she's with them right now, one day she's going to have to leave. In the same way, I won't be with them forever. We cannot live our Christian life depending on other people's relationship with God. Also no one else can live my Christian life for me. Only I can. And in the same way, I can't live out my Christian life for the youth groups kids. Only they can. It's really hard to teach, correct, and rebuke but I believe that as teachers, these are our responsibilities.

I am so excited for the journeys God is going to take each one of them when they say yes!

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to see how much you care about them;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God."

    ReplyDelete

:)