Wednesday, April 8, 2015

My Parents

Whenever you live with someone, you come to know their strengths and weaknesses very well (especially their weaknesses!). Growing up, it was hard for me to understand my parents at times (it still is at times), but I am continually learning to appreciate them more and more. It's easy to recognize and dwell on their weaknesses at times, but I am learning how important it is to cover each other's weaknesses. I don't know their full stories, but I have learned a lot by simply observing how they live by faith. Therefore I thought I would write a blog post honoring them and sharing what I have learned from them.

When I look back, I realized that my family permanently moved to the United States around the age when my parents should have been building up their careers. My mom's faith and calling to live in United States brought my family to California, and eventually Maryland. In California, we lived in a dusty apartment, rented out to us from the hospital my mom was working in. By first going to Brawley, California, we were able to receive a green card. While my mom worked as a nurse at a nursing home, my dad stayed at home for a year and took care of my sister and me. I remember while I was growing up, we did not have much money. We never really went out to eat and I grew up very conscious of our finances. For example, I remember wanting to have music lessons, but I had to wait a couple of years because we could not afford it at the time. But through this, I learned that I could not get what I wanted whenever I wanted it and moreover, I was so grateful when I could get piano & violin lessons.

You may or may not already know this, but when my sister was around 1, she got really sick with the Kawasaki Disease. So when we moved to Maryland, my dad decided to go back to school and become a nurse. I never thought much of it, but now looking back, it's pretty amazing how he went back to college and graduated #2 from his nursing class! Even though my parents never told me to work hard, I learned by observing them that it is important to work hard in all you do. My dad is so patient and so wise. Whenever I was confused or frustrated by my schoolwork (up to high school) he would help me. Even when I demanded things and yelled in frustration, he would be patient with me. I remember we used to do my 2nd grade analogy homework together (when you don't know english, analogies are soo hard, haha). On top of working as a nurse, he serves our church as one of the financial heads. I really don't know what he does, but I know he takes care of the church's budget. He also takes care of the finance of my family. Since he grew up in the farms really poor, my dad doesn't really go shopping or buying unnecessary things. Also he's the best person to go to when I'm sick because he takes care of me. (:

In the last 10 years or so that we lived in this house, we have lived with all kinds of people. There were some pleasant and not so pleasant days. But I think it really reflects my mom's big heart in opening our home to others who are in need. Honestly we don't have the prettiest or nicest house, but we do have a lot of rooms. For example, in February, a family of five from Korea lived with us for a whole month. Before they came to America, we didn't even know them! It doesn't really make sense why would you invite someone you don't even know to live in your house for a whole month, but I believe it reflects Jesus' heart. My mom also really likes to garden, which takes a lot of work. But my family enjoys the fruit of her labor in the summer time with sesame leaves, peppers, cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, and whatever else she plants for the year! She works, gardens, cleans, cooks, teaches the Bible, and does so many things. Also I am thankful for her care and prayers beacuse I really believe that no one else will pray for you like your mom will.

I thank God for my parents and their continuous support for me - in prayer, love, patience, finances, etc.

Also it's official! I'll be going to Uganda with Anna from May 26th until July 21st (the airplane tickets are booked!). Last Saturday, we began mission training last Saturday with M. Elijah. Please keep us in your prayers. I am sooo exciteeeed (I haven't been this excited in a while)! We'll be volunteering at the Bethesda Hospital in Uganda, but other than that, I really don't know.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so amazed by our mom's big heart and daddy's patience..great post:)

    ReplyDelete

:)