Thursday, April 2, 2015

What's Your Calling?

After I gave a message to the youth group, the question "What's your calling?" kept replaying in my mind. When God met Paul on the road to Damascus, his life changed 180 degrees. Paul wholeheartedly took on his calling to preach the gospel to the Jews and to the Gentiles. Wherever the Holy Spirit led him, he preached to everyone so that they could know Jesus and be saved. Whether he was rich or poor, he was content because of his relationship with Jesus. He even preached to others in prison! Paul's passion for preaching the gospel is truly inspiring. So then, the question "what's your calling?" kept replaying in my mind.

While thinking of these things, I remembered how I became a youth group teacher. I don't think I ever shared this story with anyone, so I thought it would be a good one to share. (:

A month before I became a youth group teacher, I attended the Grace Retreat as a photographer and as part of the young adult track. I have always been so blessed by attending the Grace Retreat, and last year was no different. I remember attending the prophecy seminar with my small group and the person leading the seminar told us to ask God what our hearts looked like. I remember seeing my heart, but instead of a full heart, I saw the top of one side missing. I asked God what it meant. I'm not sure exactly what it meant, but He showed me that although I already knew what I liked and didn't like to do, there was much more that He wanted to show me. And from then on, God began opening my heart for the youth group. I remember thinking during and after the retreat, "If Aug asks me to be a youth group teacher, I'll say yes." Even before Aug invited me to become a youth group teacher, God was already moving my heart! In August, Aug asked me to become a youth group teacher and I said yes! It's been difficult, but also fulfilling. I love getting to know the girls in my class and just seeing them grow in their faith is such an encouragement to me. There are other callings God has placed in my heart and I don't know when or how they're going to unfold, but I know that all I have to do is say yes to the things he asks me to do now.

I'm always amazed by God's perfect timing and His perfect plan when we say yes to Him. I love how he orchestrates all the little details that no one else cares about. I love how God created the heavens and the earth, sea, land, animals, and everything on the earth before he created mankind.

Sometimes I get boggled down by the overwhelming amount of schoolwork on top of everything that I forget my calling and purpose in life. My purpose is to love and to be loved by God and enjoy him forever. 1 Corinthians 15:58 has also been really encouraging. It says, "Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."

On the side note, I've been following this lent study by shereadstruth.com.

Also this year God is teaching me to hope - to hope in Him, to hope for others, to hope for my future, to hope when I can't see anything in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)