Thursday, January 14, 2016

2016 Key Verse Testimony

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others." (Philippians 2:3-4).

"He appointed twelve that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach and to have authority to drive out demons." (Mark 3: 14-15)

It's hard to believe that 2015 has already come and gone. In 2015 I experienced my hardest semester (yet) in college (spring 2014), a summer in Uganda, and the hardest class (mamm phys) that I have taken in college so far.  Spring 2014 challenged me intellectually, physically, and mentally. But through it all, God taught me to hope in Him and He taught me what it means to hope in Him and what it means to hope for others. After I attended the youth group winter retreat in February, I had my first biochemistry exam the following Monday. Unfortunately, I failed my first exam. Then I really struggled to trust the promise God gives in Matthew 6:33 - "But seek first His kingdom an His righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well." Didn't God promise that if I sought His kingdom first, He would take care of the rest? But through a lot of struggling, by God's grace, I ended up doing well in the class. Through it all, God taught me to place my hope in Him and not on my abilities or strength.

Living in Uganda taught me to live, independently for a bit and it taught me to treasure my quiet time with God. This past semester also went by so quickly that I can't believe it's already gone. But I am so thankful for the opportunities I had this year. Through them I learned and grew a lot. Some of them include the following: being a youth group teacher, beginning a youth group media team, having Bible studies with Helena, and giving a YDJ presentation on the life of Jacob. We began a media team this school year and I have seen the girls learn and grow. My hope is that this generation will grow to use their talents to serve and glorify God in all areas of media (photography, videography, etc) - esp. in the time and age when media is such a powerful tool with social media. Also, I am hoping that they will be able to help during conferences in the upcoming years. I was also really blessed to serve as a messenger for the YDJ retreat. Through preparing the message, God really taught me the purpose of discipleship and what it means to be His disciple. Whenever I think about it, it's crazy that God can use me - and that he does use me to further His kingdom. It's crazy but it's also so exciting when you say "yes" to God! More than what I had to offer, I believe that the Holy Spirit came and moved in people's hearts during the retreat.

My last year's key verse was Philippians 2:3-4 - "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others." In the beginning of 2015, and even before that, I realized that it's really easy for me to be jealous of others. And more than the things others had that I didn't, jealousy was rather a reflection of my heart. And somehow I bought into the lie that if I valued others above myself, then my own value would diminish. It's hard to admit it because sounds silly when I say it (type it) out loud. I suppose that's why it's called a lie. Anyway, throughout various situations and circumstances in 2015, God taught me to value and considers other above myself. I made effort to try to consider my parents more and tried to engage in conversations with others and to find out something interesting about them. By the end of the year, I see that Paul taught the church of Philippi to value others above themselves for the benefit of the church as a whole. Surprisingly, I found joy when I considered others above myself. I found that valuing others above me and considering their ideas and thoughts above my ideas and thoughts didn't make me below them. Nor did it make me better or higher than anyone. But it taught me to be humble and rightly see my place. I also learned to see people as God created them to be (although this is still an ever learning process), God taught me to hope for others and in their futures. In the same way Jesus had hope for the disciples from the very beginning, I desire to hope in and for others no matter what I see in their lives at the moment.

For 2016, I chose Mark 3:14-15 - "He appointed twelve that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach and to have authority to drive out demons"- as my key verse. I don't know what this year will bring. But as I was preparing my message + listening to Dr. Ezra Cho's lecture at the retreat, I was challenged to meditate on the Word of God. I really like the analogy of the five fingers. We memorize, study, read, and hear the word of God. But if we do not spend time to meditate (the thumb) on the passage we heard or studied, whatever we learned will soon slip away. As a disciple, it is imperative to spend time with Jesus, preach, and to have authority. But before I can preach, I must know Jesus. And to know Jesus, I must spend time with him and meditate on the Word of god. I pray that I may be able to read the Bible regularly and mediate on what it says to come to know even more deeply who Jesus is.

There are directions I need to pray for the upcoming year - media team direction, MCAT preparations, youth group winter treat, youth group mission trip, my last 2 semesters in college, and whatever ends up coming in the way. But through it all, I pray that I may experience more of God's presence this year. I pray that I may lay down all my fears, worries, insecurities and trust that He is leading me exactly where He wants me to be in His perfect timing. In addition, as a disciple, I want to share the gospel with my friends and count everything a loss compared to knowing Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your key verse, and the point you made in your message; Jesus simply wants us to "be with Him". This year will be tough (for me too), but being with Jesus is the greatest thing we can do everyday.

    ReplyDelete

:)