Monday, January 21, 2013

Grumbling

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe." - Philippians 2:14

"But you were unwilling to go up; you rebelled against the command of the Lord your God. You grumbled in your tents and said, The Lord hates us; so he brought us out of Egypt to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us." - Deuteronomy 1:26-27

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Grumbling. It seems like wherever I read something recently the word grumbling has been popping out. I noticed more and more how easily complaints slipped out of my mind as I talked with my friends that I thought nothing of it. "We have way too much homework today." "It's too cold." "It's too cold outside." And so on. What contributes to grumbling? I think lack of thanksgiving does. Once I start forgetting all the good things God has given me, I start looking elsewhere and I begin to grumble. In the same way, God's provided everything for the Israelites in the desert - manna, water, fire, and everything they needed but they continued to grumble against God. He even split the Red Sea and they crossed it on dry land. He helped them conquer their enemies when he was with them. And what did the Israelites do? They forgot and grumbled against God. However, this is what I do as well. I forget all the good things that God has done for me and start complaining. I need to look back and thank God for everything he has done and is doing in my life. God is so good! Grumbling doesn't seem like a big deal that I should care so much about it, but there are detrimental consequences of grumbling against God. The Israelites were in the forty years to enter the Canaanite land God promised them, but because they grumbled, they were unable to enter. I think once I start grumbling, it brings a pessimistic mood into a place.

I need to stop complaining and "just do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)