Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Learning to Love

I was studying Genesis 1 in Bible study and it amazed me how creative God was in creating this world. 
Then God said, 'Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.' And it was so" (Genesis 1:11). 
He created plants and animals according to their various kind. As with plants and animals, God created various kinds of people as well. Unlike the rest of creation, God created mankind in His own image and likeness. I find it amazing how God created all kinds of people instead of creating people with the same personalties, interests, and appearances.

Throughout last semester and even now, I am really learning that we were not created to be alone. Sometimes I think I can do things on my own (and I try to...), but the reality is that God created me to be part of a community. We were all created to be part of loving communities. And in these communities, we have relationships with those around us. I believe that one of the most important thing in a relationship is to be able to communicate. It's important to be able to communicate to our friends and families. For example, I love my sister, but if I never express it to her through words, actions, hugs, etc. she will never know.

...and this is where the 5 Love Languages come in.

On Saturday I picked up The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman at the church library and began reading it. I have heard of this book in the past and already knew that there were five love languages - words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. However, actually reading the book gave me a deeper understanding of the people around me as well as my relationships with them. I first heard the concept of 5 Love Languages when our whole youth group took the quiz. I remember comparing the results and being surprised how people received love in different ways.

Although the book was written for married couples, reading it opened my eyes to how people receive love differently. As I pondered on the different love languages, things started clicking in my head! It made more sense why certain things as homemade gifts meant more to my one friend than to all my other friends. It made sense why I considered it a good week last semester when I caught up with friends over lunch versus eating my lunch alone. It made sense why even though I made efforts to love certain people, they were completely unaware of it. I wasn't speaking their love language! And I realized that there is a difference in knowing that I am loved and feeling that I am loved.

Knowing that people receive love differently does not give us an excuse to not love someone. In John, Jesus commands his disciples to love one another. "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:34-35). However, it's more like a challenge to learn a "new language" because love is a choice. It's choosing to forgive, choosing to take out the trash, choosing to spend time with someone. The greatest example of love is Jesus, who laid down His life for us. I am able to love because He first loved me. Let's choose to love this year. (:

"If I speak in tongues of men or of angles, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing" (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).

--
"-If we want to have friends, we must first sow friendship.
-If we try to be a friend to everyone then we cannot be a true friend to any."
This doesn't relate to the post, but it was a good reminder.
Read the rest of the devotional, "The Power of Friendship" here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)