Saturday, March 8, 2014

Sharing Burdens

On Monday, I studied John 2:1-12 with my Bible teacher. This marked the beginning of Jesus' ministry because it was the first miracle Jesus performed as He changed water into wine at the wedding. Every time I study this passage, something different really sticks out to me. Previously, the servant's attitudes and obedience to Jesus really amazed me. However, this time Jesus' mother, Mary's attitude really convicted me. Mary was simply a guest at the wedding. However, when there was no more wine at the wedding feast, Mary noticed and did something about it. She didn't have to because she was simply a guest. But she knew and believed that Jesus could do something. As a result, she came to Jesus and told him "They have no more wine." Jewish wedding celebrations were a week long and in those times, people drank wine instead of water because water the water was unclean. Therefore, having enough wine was really important at weddings. In the end, the wine that Jesus created turned out to be the best wine the guests had. Because Mary brought this problem to Jesus, the problem was solved and the guests were all blessed through it. I thought about it and wondered - "How often do I pray for someone else's troubles and problems if I don't think it really affects my life?" Recently, not that very often. However, I believe that it's important to bring other's concerns and prayers to God even though they do not immediately affect us. In this way, we can see God do amazing things and be a blessing to those around us (though they may not know it). I believe Mary's faith was increased by this event and I believe by praying for others, our faith will be increased as well.

I was also reading Exodus 18, when Moses' father-in-law, Jethro visits Moses. (I wrote a short paragraph about it a few years ago here.) Moses served as a only judge for the Israelites and worked from the morning till the evening. I find it really interesting that Jethro said, "What you are doing is not good. You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone. Listen now to me and I will give you some advice, and may God be with you. You must be the people's representative before God and bring their disputes to him. Teach them his decrees and instructions, and show them the way they are to live and how they are to behave" (Exodus 18:17-20). In the way that Moses wasn't supposed to do all the work by himself, I believe that we are to share our burdens with each other. In this way, we can pray for each other and really encourage each other.

Lent started last week and I haven't really decided whether I am going to give up anything for these forty days. However, I have been trying to consciously daily thank God for something in my life. Right now, I'm so thankful for this beautiful weather outside! It's finally (almost) spring. Ah, my favorite season. It's like winter has finally been defeated...

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)