Sunday, May 5, 2013

analogies

I have been meaning to write about the Pursuit of God, but it kept being pushed back. I would highly recommend it. Although it's short, it's really dense and really good. One of the quote that stuck out to me the most in the book was this:
“Has it ever occurred to you that one hundred pianos all tuned to the same fork are automatically tuned to each other? They are of one accord by being tuned, not to each other, but to another standard to which each one must individually bow. So one hundred worshipers met together, each one looking away to Christ, are in heart nearer to each other than they could possibly be, were they to become 'unity' conscious and turn their eyes away from God to strive for closer fellowship.” - A. W. Tozer
It's such a good analogy!

We have been discussing about the play Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead in lit class and although it supports existentialism, I thought the ship analogy was really interesting. It talked about no matter what you try to change in within a ship, the boat is still heading the same direction. Then a thought came to me. What kind of boat or ship am I in right now? A small ship when hit by waves will be overcome even by small waves. It'll be pretty tumultuous. However a large ship won't be greatly disturbed by these waves. What ship am I living in right now? If I trust and believe that God is sovereign, no circumstances (waves) should shake me.

Another analogy: As you travel deeper into the ocean, you realize you can't touch the ground anymore. Whenever I went swimming at a beach I would try not to go too deep because there's the assurance of being able to touch the floor. The deeper I went, it was more frightening! You can't just touch the ground anymore. You have to start swimming. In the same way, the deeper I go in my relationship with God, I need more faith. As things become impossible to do by myself, I can't rely on myself. I can't touch the ground anymore. I can only rely on God to help me keep swimming in faith!

Question I'm curious to know the answer to: How do you react to awkward situations? Comment! (:

2 comments:

  1. How do I react? It depends but I definitely try to get out of it as fast as possible

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's their fault I'd just relish in it a little bit before I give them a charitable laugh hahaha
    But if it's on me I kinda just...squirm

    you should read Pilgrims Progress, they use the the water analogy (:

    ReplyDelete

:)