Monday, June 16, 2014

Creativity

I've been meaning to write a blog post on creativity for quite a while now (from winter break), but I hadn't figured out how to start this blog post.

Random tangent, but I recently realized that I haven't taken an English class for a whole year now (gasp). All I have been reading since college started are organic chemistry equations, textbooks, and scientific papers (that use unnecessarily complex language, in my opinion). Although I didn't quite enjoy English class in Roosevelt, it was good for me and I learned so much about literature and how to write. I am hoping my writing doesn't get worse in college.

Okay, back to the topic. It a truth so simple, yet it has taken me months to learn it. And then when I thought I learned it, I had to relearn it. So what did I learn these past few months? I learned that creativity comes from God. During the fall semester, I was getting adjusted to college that I didn't take many pictures. It also kind of felt like my creativity ran dry. Then over the long winter break, when I had nothing to do, I would go on Pinterest and become fascinated by all the DIY (Do-It-Yourself) ideas. I also had so much fun reading through Hillsong's Creative Blog. As I started using Instagram, I also became fascinated by all the creative Instagramers! And I too, wanted to be creative. However, I refused to acknowledge that photography and my love for arts came from God. Due to my pride, I struggled and struggled. During this time, I read some blog posts from other Christians, and I was really convicted.

"Creativity is a gift--it’s good. Yet, as with most things given and good in this world, the enemy loves to put a polluted and poisoned twist on it, and he loves it even more when he can get it right into the majority of our modern churches. More and more I have seen a disturbing number of “ministries” surface focused primarily on assisting willing and eager participants “find themselves” and “express their own individuality” through all different forms of art. They have made Christianity about self-expression, instead of a surrendered life that expresses Christ. They seem to forget that arts, music, drama, etc, all exist as a means to glorify Jesus, and not as an avenue to self-exaltation."
(The rest of the post can be read here.)

As the new year came along, my friend and I declared 2014 to be a year of creativity. And it's been amazing seeing all the ways God has stirred members in our church to do creative things! I've seen people explore things they have never thought of before. And I hope that as a church, we can expand and improve the media team, praise team, etc. and take steps in doing creative things. As I rightfully acknowledge that creativity comes from God, I have been learning so much and having so much fun with photography!

However, I learned that although creative things make me really excited, God calls me to worship Him. It's so easy to get distracted and unintentionally start worshiping the artists, instead of worshiping and praising God - whom creativity originally came from.

And so this is the simple truth that took me so many months to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)