Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Beautiful Thing

"Aware of this, Jesus said to them, 'Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me'" (Matthew 26:10).

"Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven - for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little" (Luke 47).

Last week I had a Bible study based on Matthew 26:1-16. Though I heard this story so many times, the woman's action still amazes me. "While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table." What was the disciples reaction to this? They thought it was a waste. Perfume and alabaster jars were expensive, worth a year's wages. Yet, this woman came to Jesus' feet and poured everything at his feet. The tradition was to spray just a little bit of perfume when worthy guests came, but this woman poured the whole jar of perfume on Jesus. The perfume could have been the one valuable object she had, something she should have saved for her marriage, but Jesus was worth more than everything to her. How beautiful is that?

In the same way, I want to pour out my life at Jesus' feet no matter how foolish it seems in the world's point of view. The way I live should answer the question - "Who am I living for?" If I am living for men, my actions would please other people but if I am living for God, my concern should be to please Him. Nothing else should matter. I find it so beautiful how the woman loved Jesus so well. I can't completely understand her actions at the moment, but it's amazing to see how she poured out everything she had to him. The second verse on top says "Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven - for she loved much. But he who has been forgive little loves little." Today in Bible study we received books! The book for my class is title "A Love Worth Giving" by Max Lucado that focuses on 1 Corinthians 13. It introduced a new concept to me. Before I love, I need to receive. Often times we hear "love your enemies" and we try. We try on with our ability to love, which is really limited. When we can't do it, we give up. However, we need to receive Jesus' amazing love first and then our hearts, as a response, will eagerly love others.

To continually love, I must continually receive.

I want to be completely satisfied in Jesus and in Jesus alone. It's hard, but I want to be so satisfied that nothing else matters. I want Jesus to be my everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment

:)